Sun, July 25, 2010 | Intelligence and Terrorism Information Center
Less than one month after execution of Jundollah leader:
another terrorist attack in Sistan and Baluchestan Province capital
Twenty-eight people were killed and over 300 were injured in a suicide bombing attack last Thursday (July 15) in a Shi’ite mosque in Zahedan, the capital of Sistan and Baluchistan Province in southeastern Iran. The attack was the work of two suicide bombers, Mohammad Rigi and Abdolbasset Rigi, who blew themselves up as Shi’ite worshippers inside the mosque were celebrating the birthday of the Shi’ite Imam Hossein, which falls on the same date as Revolutionary Guards Day. Two explosions took place in the mosque. Several people died in the first explosion, in front of the mosque entrance; a second explosion occurred several minutes later, when people rushed to help the victims. Some of those killed or injured were Revolutionary Guards.
The Jundollah terrorist organization, also known as People’s Resistance Movement of Iran (PRMI), claimed responsibility for the terrorist attack, saying it was a retaliation for the regime’s incessant crimes in Baluchistan and to the execution of Jundollah leader Abdolmalek Rigi last month. Rigi was executed on June 20, several months after he was captured in an operation carried out by Iranian security forces. His brother, Abdolhamid Rigi, was executed in May, having been extradited from Pakistan to Iran in 2008. Following the execution, Jundollah published a statement on its official website promising to continue fighting against the regime and announcing the appointment of Hajji Mohammad Zaher Balouch as the organization’s new leader.
Last week, Interior Minister Mohammad Mostafa Najjar said at a press conference in the city of Kerman that, ever since the execution of Rigi, who, according to Najjar, was supported by Western intelligence services and by Israel, the situation in southeastern Iran calmed down completely (Press TV, July 13). After the terrorist attack, security forces detained 40 possible suspects (ILNA, July 17). The three Majles representatives from Sistan and Baluchistan Province submitted their resignations this week in protest of the regime’s failure to maintain security in their electorate.
Following the attack, top Iranian officials once again blamed the US for the acts of terrorism perpetrated by Jundollah. Majles speaker Ali Larijani claimed this week that the US was the main culprit behind the suicide bombings in Zahedan. Speaking at the beginning of the Majles session, Larijani said that it was a day of shame for the US, which was involved in that horrible crime, warning it that there would be consequences (Fars, July 18). The Friday prayer leader in Tehran, Hojjatoleslam Kazem Seddiqi, also laid the blame on the US, saying it had its “dirty hands” in the suicide bombing and claiming the US carried it out to cover the embarrassment caused by the Shahram Amiri affair—Amiri is the nuclear scientist who returned to Iran last week (Fars, July 16).
The conservative media also blamed the US for Jundollah’s continuing terrorist attacks. An editorial published by the conservative daily Jomhuri-ye Eslami (July 17) says that the main objective of the US in establishing Jundollah was to create a conflict between Shi’ites and Sunnis, and to destabilize the security situation in eastern Iran in order to harm the Islamic regime. However, the arrest and execution of the organization’s leaders have foiled the American scheme, and any further crimes by Jundollah will only increase the hatred Shi’ite and Sunni Iranians feel towards that organization, and will strengthen their support for the regime.
Since its establishment in 2003, Jundollah carried out numerous terrorist attacks in Sistan and Baluchistan Province, home to over three million people, the majority of them belonging to the Baluchi minority. The terrorist attacks resulted in the deaths of hundreds of Iranian civilians and security forces personnel. According to the organization, its main goal is to put an end to the discrimination of the Baluchi minority, comprising about two percent of Iran’s population and belonging to the Sunni denomination of Islam. On their part, the Iranian authorities claim that Jundollah is a terrorist organization supported by American and British intelligence services, with ties to the Al-Qaeda network. The major terrorist attacks perpetrated by the organization in recent years include an attack in the town of Tasuki in March 2006 in which 21 civilians were killed, an attack in the city of Zahedan in February 2007 in which 18 Revolutionary Guards members were killed, a suicide bombing attack in the city of Saravan in December 2008 in which a number of police officers were killed, an attack at a Shi’ite mosque in the city of Zahedan in May 2009 in which 25 people were killed, and an attack in the city of Sarbaz in October 2009 in which over 40 people were killed, including a number of Revolutionary Guards top officials.
PRMI declares Mr Abddul Rauf Rigi as spokesman for the party
The People Resistance Movement of Iran (PRMI) announced new spokesmen for the party. In a letter dispatched to the Public Relations department of PRMI, Mr Muhammad Zaher Balouch, the leader of PRMI appointed Mr Abdol Rauf Rigi, as spokesman of the PRMI.
Text of the letter:
In the name of Allah
Now that the activities of PRMI is steeply progressing and widening in all aspects, some organizational changes in political, military and security arenas seemed necessary.
In this regard besides appreciating the tireless efforts of other members, Mr Abdul Rauf who has a good hand in the area of politics and diplomacy, and is also committed to the mission of the PRMI, is appointed as official spokesman for the party with effect from July 20, 2010.
I hope that he in the light of previous experience and efforts and above all relying on the Almighty would perform his duty and responsibility as best as possible.
Wish him success in his responsibility and life.
Muhammad Zaher Balouch
People Resistance Movement of Iran (PRMI)